May 28, 2010

Great New Review from Reader Views!

New Review just posted!

Below is a Review posted on Reader Views. It is one of the best reviews so far! Please enjoy reading the words of the reviewer:

Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery

This is the second book of Barbara Sinor’s that I have had the privilege to read. As a Psychologist I am a firm believer in letting others share their stories in the hope that it may spark recovery in others. Many of those who are attempting recovery, or are in recovery, don’t like being told what to do or be lectured to. Stories like these are gut-wrenching, sad and hopeful, with many ups and downs. Recovery, for whatever the reason, is not an easy process. Many think that just stopping the negative behavior will lead them to be happy and as you read these stories that the author has collected, you will see this is not so.

I loved the way the author decided to get her information to include for this book, “A Call for Stories,” what a great way to get others to share. As I read some of these stories I thought to myself “I know this- have I read this book before?” No I had not; some of the contributors are authors I have read and done reviews for.

The other part of the book which I really loved was the author sharing her own experiences about her son Richard. She wasn’t asking for pity- she was letting the readers know of her own experiences with trying to save someone we love from falling into the depths of substance addiction. In her own thoughts and those of her husband, she discusses enabling, begging, pleading and making threats to finally cutting her son off. Mothers are supposed to take care of their kids till the day they pass; they are supposed to protect them from the evil world- yet as the author says- “you can only change yourself.” I certainly can relate to what she speaks of as my own brother drank himself to death. My family expected me the “therapist” to save him and couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t.

Dr. Sinor also discusses the dreaded “system” that really didn’t seem to care. There were so many hurdles to pass through that one just gave up. For those who are in recovery, or thinking about going into recovery, it will not be easy; you will fight, stay clean of your addiction and fall into it again. This might happen time after time.

Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery: Twenty True Stories from the Soul” is another great book that I have recommended to my college students who are going into the field of Psychology. We learn more by listening to others experiences.
Reviewed by Carol Hoyer, PhD, for Reader Views (05/10)


Here is the link to this review:  Reader Views
This Review can also be found on my web site under the title of the book. I would love to hear your comments after reading this potent book's look into addiction recovery.




No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post touched you in some manner, please leave your comment by clicking the "comment link." I will read all comments and respond if necessary.