February 21, 2010

Countdown Updates!

I promised you another Advance Review for Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery this week--and it is posted below.


As this book’s release date nears, I have been asked to appear on several online radio programs to discuss my reasons for writing this healing book. Part of my answer to that question is that most of my counseling career has been centered around helping those adults who have been abused in some form (physically, emotionally, psychologically, or spiritually) in their childhood. I drew to my practice mostly women who had been sexually abused as a child, no doubt, because of my book Gifts From the Child Within which introduces the "Re-Creation" process of releasing and re-creating traumatic experiences. While working with this group of individuals, I found obvious links between childhood abuse and substance abuse. Large percentages of those who abuse children are under the influence of drug and/or alcohol; and, those who were abused in childhood many times enter adulthood with an addiction. As my practice grew over the years, it became necessary for me to address drug and alcohol addiction in one form or another. Within Tales of Addiction, I share many of the insights I learned from my patients about addiction, as well as, my personal experiences of being a mother of an alcoholic.

The following Review is from the Executive Director of the National Alliance for Medication Assisted Recovery, Joycelyn Woods, M.A. It captures much of my own feelings about not placing blame or shame upon the person addicted to drugs or alcohol. I feel honored that Tales of Addiction has received such an enlightened Review!

Tales of Addiction contains stories of the heart. Many people suffer from problems with drugs but they do not start out that way. In that respect, anyone is a candidate for a drug problem, however, some are able to see danger while others do not until they are in so deep that they cannot get out. The public needs to understand that we must stop blaming addicts for their addiction, as drug problems are no different than other chronic diseases. Society must offer support and make sure that treatment is available for anyone who needs it. I hope that readers of Tales of Addiction will find comfort, especially if they have lost someone close to drug addiction.”
~Joycelyn Woods, M.A., C.M.A., Executive Director, NAMA
National Alliance for Medication Assisted Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post touched you in some manner, please leave your comment by clicking the "comment link." I will read all comments and respond if necessary.