April 10, 2010

Countdown to Launch of Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery

About two weeks to go to the launch of Tales of Addiction and Inspiration for Recovery! I do not know the exact day the book will be available through Amazon or your local bookstore, but keep watching for it by the end of the month.


The Free Book Drawing is still underway until the 15th - so get your name on the list to try to a winner of your free copy! Go to my web site to get the details:


This month has been designated national “Alcohol Awareness Month” so it seems right that Tales of Addiction would be released at this time. Many of the stories in the book deal with alcoholism and the destruction it can have on both the individual and those around him/her. One of the stories is from my son, Richard, who struggled with his alcoholic demons most of his life. There are approximately 17 million individuals with an addiction to alcohol. Here is a link to the Dept. of Health and Human Services discussing this month’s dedication to alcoholism and its efforts to instill recovery:


Below is an excerpt from one of the addiction stories found in Tales of Addiction which deals with alcoholism:

“I would have to say the beginning of my life with alcoholism was while I was in my mother’s womb. My dad abused my mom while she was pregnant and I was born prematurely as a result, weighing four pounds… Once when my dad was driving intoxicated (his choice of alcohol was beer, lots of beer) and was weaving back and forth, my brother and I were frightened but we thought he was just ‘having fun.’ He hit the sides of the cars parked along the street and my mom’s door opened and she was dragged--I don’t know how many yards down the street--and he ran away so she would be blamed for the wreck… I don’t know what the mitigating factors were when my mom finally decided to divorce dad, but I don’t ever remember missing him, or even thinking about him. He was just gone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post touched you in some manner, please leave your comment by clicking the "comment link." I will read all comments and respond if necessary.